Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Meet Sophia - The Littlest Heroes Project

Meet Sophia. She's 14 months old and has been through more in her short life than most of us will ever go through. I was so fortunate to meet Sophia and her amazing family through the Littlest Heroes Project. Sophia was born with a heart defect and didn't breathe for a solid ten minutes after she was born. She spent her first three months in the hospital where she suffered from kidney failure, cardiac arrest, damaged neck nerves, seizures, GERD, and other problems related to her heart condition. Sophia has had 2 heart surgeries and one stomach surgery - and she's doing great.

You would think that a child that has been through so much would be affected in some way by her experiences. Sophia's Mom told me in advance that she was the happiest baby she has ever met and that I would just have to meet her to see. And she was SO right! There's nothing anyone could have said to prepare me for the pure joy and happiness Sophia radiates. She is all smiles and giggles - and truly lights up the room.

Sophia's whole family is amazing. I also had the pleasure of spending some time photographing and talking to her big sister. And let me tell you, she is also an amazing girl. She has been with her little sister through everything. She has loved her, taken care of her, been scared for her, been happy for her - and has come through with more maturity than someone her age should probably have. But I think the giggle might be genetic because I am sure I caught one or two of those giggles from her too.

Thank you so much for inviting me into your home and allowing me to meet your Littlest Hero and your amazing family. I hope that you enjoy this preview from our session.

Littlest Heroes Project


Littlest Heroes Project


Littlest Heroes Project


And, her lovely big sister:

Littlest Heroes Project

3 comments:

Total Loser said...

I know Sophia and her family and all you've said is so true. This is one sweet, happy Snugglebug of a baby girl. I can literally feel my blood pressure go down when I hug her. And her parents are some of the most fantastic people I've known. Down-to-earth, optimistic, and so very very strong. And her sister is and always has been an awesome and beautiful kid, one who handles things with grace. These pictures are beautiful and I think the Little Heroes Project is just wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

Lindsay said...

Becky, youre so sweet! *sniff*

Stephanie, these look SO beautiful! We are so thankful for the work you do, this brings a lot of joy to our lives. (((hugs)))

Unknown said...

Wow!

Our son was in the NICU the same time as Sophia! It's so great to see that she's doing so wonderful! We were able to talk to Sophia's mom, dad, and sister a number of times since our children spent several months in the hospital together. Congratulations to you guys! Tell Sophia her old buddy Wyatt says hello!

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop